It’s not often that I bake. I pretty much banned myself from the kitchen on account of the fact that I eat almost all the batter of everything before it even makes its way to the oven.
I had a bunch of ripe bananas though, and couldn’t resist the opportunity to make my Reduced Fat Blueberry Banana Bread. I basically substituted a fresh peach and some apple sauce for the excess butter. The treat is still completely tasty, delicious, and a huge hit with my man. I hope you enjoy!!
- 2.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1.5 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 stick salted butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 7 medium, ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 large, ripe peach
- 2 tbsp apple sauce
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Lots of blueberries!
- optional: chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease two 9-by-5 inch loaf pans.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, soda and salt with a wire whisk; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mash bananas with a chopped ripe peach, and then add 2 tbsp apple sauce.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add bowl of mashed bananas, eggs, and vanilla, and beat at medium speed until thick. Scrap down sides of bowl.
- Add the flour mixture, and then blend at low speed just until combined. Do not overmix.
- Fold in blueberries with a spatula.
- Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake on center rack of oven for 60-70 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes.