Hi guys! As I promised in last week's Thinny Thursday Tip, this week I'm dishing on my Top 7 favorite workouts. Hopefully they'll inspire you to get your body moving, try something new, or hey, write in and teach me something new! Again, I average about five hours of real exercise a week, so no suggesting that I attempt a triathlon anytime soon!
In no particular order, the various work-outs that I rotate betweeeeeen… ARE:
1) Kick Boxing/Tae Bo- Alright folks, I have a VHS of Billy Blank's first Tae Bo tape that I still use from almost a decade ago! Seriously, the thing works. It's great for a rainy day, or when I just don't feel like putting clothes on and being seen. Since we're now well into the 21rst century though, I also bought some Jillian Michael's DVDs which also do the trick. Finally, live classes are great. When I lived in Brentwood, I liked dropping in on Keith Cooke's classes.
2) Yoga- increases flexibility, increases lubrication of the joints, ligaments, and tendons, massages all the organs of your body, detoxifies your system, tones your muscles, builds strength, increases cardio, and cultivates peace of mind, all in one. Um- hello, what now? I can live for-almost-ever if I maintain a yoga practice? Hellz yeah. I plan on doing backbends and Down-Dogs when I'm 95. Stay tuned a handful of decades and watch me do it. My fave studios include Yoga Works, Earths Power Yoga, and Maha Yoga.
3) Eliptical Machine- this machine is great on your joints and I also happen to have one in my place. My rickety and archaic "machine" has got to be from 1989. It makes me do all the work, but when I pop in an episode of 24 and watch Jack Bauer save America, my heart starts pumping and I lose all track of time. I just get so jazzed by Jack!
4) Jogging- Bleh, this is the exercise that is Soooo hard to motivate to do. Ugh, You have to put clothes on and go outside, yet there's no teacher or class encouraging you to keep go-go-going. To me, the time before running is Hell, the time during running is Purgatory, and the time after running is Heaven.
5) Hiking with my Dog- this activity is far less intimating than running, but it involves getting in a car and having to find parking. The horror. I love seeing everyone out and about with their dogs and always find it auspicious when I see another Cavalier.
6) Bar Method- Bar Method is an awesome class that focuses on each major part of your body to work and tone it. The segments are broken up into small, manageable bits of time, with good music and diligent teachers who practically serve as private trainers (woo!). Not sure I get much cardio out of this class, but my arms look more toned and let's not forget the legendary "Bar Butt" you get- they really work your gluts!
7) Salsa Dancing!- Ole! Just down the street from me is the Los Angeles Dance Studio where they train the Dancing with the Stars cast!! They offer awesome, easy to learn Salsa classes, that make me think I'm just having a blast dancing, versus working hard to burn calories (the Jack Bauer Effect, if you will). It's so much fun, I wonder if it even Counts!……?
Alright, above are my Top Fave workouts. I also used to enjoy Spinning when I lived by a studio with bikes, and on the rare occasion that I get to the beach boardwalk, I like to whip out my rollerblades (and feel like I'm back in the early '90s). What's Your favorite work out? How do you motivate? Share, Share!