Gluten Free products are sprouting up everywhere and it’s no wonder why since there has been a 400% increase in Celiac’s Disease. Holy crap, say WHAT?! Ok, let’s back up.
What is GLUTEN?
Gluten is a substance in grains, especially wheat, that is responsible for the elastic texture of dough. It basically acts like.. a GLUE. So when you mix flour, water, and salt to make play-dough? Well that sticky-gummy like substance is what gluten also does in your insides when you consume it.
What is Celiac’s Disease?
Celiac’s is a digestive disease that wreaks havoc on the lining of the small intestine and interferes with the absorption of nutrients. People with Celiac’s Disease cannot tolerate Gluten (source).
Why the Increase in Gluten Allergies?
Turns out that yet again, GMOs are to blame (what are GMOs? See video here). In the case of wheat, it was genetically modified with the promise of feeding millions of starving people world wide. The result? There are now “30% more obese than undernourished in the world.” (source)
Genetically Modified Wheat
The wheat in our food today is drastically different from the wheat our grandparents or even parents had growing up. According to Dr. Mark Hyman’s fascinating article here, some facts about the wheat of today:
- It contains a Super Starch – amylopectin A that is super fattening.
- It contains a form of Super Gluten that is super-inflammatory.
- It contains forms of a Super Drug that is super-addictive and makes you crave and eat more.
I know, you’re totally scratching your head right now, wondering WTF you can do and eat that’s still delicious and doesn’t tear up your intestines and make you sick and fat, right?! Or something like that. Fear not- you CAN take action.
- Eat Organic
- Eat Gluten Free- I shall be on the look out for fantastic GF dessert options! Stay tuned
- Eat Raw desserts (always Gluten Free)
- Sign this petition to ask the FDA to label foods with GMOs